Tuesday, September 14, 2010 | 9:28 p.m. CDT; updated 10:16 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, September 14, 2010
BY LAUREN OMAHEN
COLUMBIA — Thirteen stitches were not going to affect his game. The way Grahm Meyer sees it, it's just a few scratches on his forehead.
Despite the stitches, Meyer, a junior on the Hickman soccer team, led the Kewpies with three goals in Tuesday's 10-0 victory over visiting K.C. Northeast.
A large X can clearly be seen on the top right side of Meyer's forehead as he explains how he suffered the injury. The wound is stitched-up, but dried blood still remains, slightly covered by the sweat dripping off his light brown hair.
"This happened in our game against Jefferson City," explained Meyer about the Kewpies' 1-0 overtime victory last Tuesday. "I entered the game after the first 15 minutes, and he (a Jays player) and I were going in to head-butt the ball — we collided."
Meyer said he doesn't really know what happened to the other player because he was immediately rushed to the emergency room.
This Tuesday, was Meyer's first time playing middle wing for the Kewpies. Meyer usually plays left and right wing, but Tuesday night he was ready to try something new.
"This was not too much of a transition for me," Meyer said. "But it was interesting to get an entirely new perspective of defense."
Hickman's defense was strong, rarely allowing its opponent into Kewpies' territory.
Hickman coach Adam Taylor seemed nonchalant about the big win.
"We did not come out with the energy and intensity that I would have liked," Taylor said. "Northeast is a fairly new soccer program, only about 5 to 6 years old, so the game went mostly as expected. Tonight, we focused on the basics, and this was an opportunity to improve on some of these basic skills."
The game had finished 20 minutes early because of the score. Hickman will play again Friday at Smithton High School.
- WAYNESVILLE : Take 63 South Towards Jeff City. Take US-54 W thru Osage Beach to Camdenton. Take MO Hwy 5 South to Lebanon , MO.Continue on MO Hwy 5 South to I-44 E towards Waynesville, MO. Take Exit 156, toward WAYNESVILLE/FORT LEONARD WOOD. Turn LEFT onto HIGHWAY H/I-44-BL/MO-H. Continue to follow I-44-BL.Turn RIGHT onto MO-17/W I-44-BL.1001 HISTORIC 66 W.
- QUINCY TOURNAMENT IN QUINCY ILLINOIS: From Columbia Take 70 West to Kingdom City. Take 54 North to Mexico and then 54 east and north (54/19) to Laddonia. From Laddonia take 19 North to New London and then 61 North to Hannibal. When you get to Hannibal, you will need to take a right at the sign that says Quincy or to Illinois or to Springfield which is hwy 72 across the river. You will then pick up Highway 172 north to Quincy. In Quincy take the Broadway exit and go left.The fields we are playing on are located on State Street. The streets in Quincy that run West to East are numbered streets. The Mississippi River is to the West and the street numbers get higher the further East you go. When you enter from highway 172 the first street you will see is 48th street. Go left. At State St turn right and the park is a few blocks on the right. The Paul Dennis Complex is located on State between 36th and 48th street.
- JEFFERSON CITY- 179 SOCCER PARK: Take 63 to Jeff City. Across the river take Hwy 50 toward Sedalia. Take the hwy 179 exit and turn right onto 179. The soccer park is about 3 miles on your left.
- DESMET High school from CBC High school (about 3 miles): leave CBC and turn left (east) onto N Forty Dr. Turn right onto Conway Rd. Follow Conway Rd to left at S New Ballas Rd and it is about 1.2 miles to the high school at 233 N. New Ballas Rd.
- CBC High school in St Louis: about 1 hour and 50 minutes. Take I-70 east to US40E/US61S just past Wentzville. Head toward Chesterfield/Forrest Park. About 23 miles to Mason Rd exit. Take S Mason Rd north back over the highway. Turn right on N. Forty Dr and the high school is on your left about a mile at 1850 De la Salle Dr.
- CAMDENTON: Hwy 54 out of Jeff City to Hwy 5 in Camdenton. Turn left (east) on to Hwy 5. Continue on Hwy 5 for 5 or 6 blocks and can see the school campus on your left (north side of road). Turn on to Dare Blvd and the stadium is a block or two behind the schools.
- SMITHTON TOURNAMENT: I-70 west to Booneville. Exit on Hwy 5 south. From Hwy 5 take Hwy 50 west. Go to Hwy W and turn south. Follow Hwy W into Smithton. Turn east on to E. Washington St. (I think this is a continuation of Hwy W), Turn right (south) on to Myrtle Ave and the school is 550 Myrtle Ave. Games are at the school.
- ROLLA: Hwy 63 out of Jefferson City. Continue on Hwy 63 into Rolla. Turn left (east) on to 10th St. Continue on 10th St about 8 blocks to N. Cedar St. High School is at corner of N. Cedar and 10th St. Soccer field is behind the high school.