BY Sean Leahy
COLUMBIA — It took two overtimes and two rounds of penalty kicks, but the Hickman soccer team finally got its victory.
Kewpies goalkeeper Spencer Mills stonewalled Troy Buchanan forward Alex Williams in the second round of penalty kicks and Hickman scored a 1-0 victory over the Trojans on Tuesday night at Hickman.
“I stuck with it on that last one,” Mills said. “I just got the feeling he was going straight down the middle.”
Moments earlier defender Adam Brenner gave the Kewpies the lead after the first round of penalty kicks ended tied at 4.
When Mills cradled Williams’ shot in his chest, Hickman had survived for the win.
“I was thinking, ‘Thank goodness I stopped that ball and we got the win,’ ” Mills said. “We definitely needed to come up on top.”
Hickman coach Adam Taylor praised both his goalkeepers after the victory.
“We’ve got two keepers that are playing quite a bit,” Taylor said. “Spencer and Chuck (Wilson) are both giving us opportunities to win ballgames. It was Spencer’s turn tonight, and he did everything we asked him to do.”
The two teams battled for 100 minutes before going to penalty kicks. The Kewpies and Trojans both scored on their first penalty-kick shots, but Hickman’s second shot went just above the top crossbar.
A few shots later, the teams were tied at 4 when midfielder Alex Martin had the opportunity to give the Trojans the win. Mills stopped his shot, which pushed the game into the deciding second round of penalty kicks.
Up to that point, Hickman was fighting to get on the scoreboard with no results to show for it. Zeros may have occupied the scoreboard, but the Kewpies had their chances to take the lead.
With two minutes left in the second overtime, forward Alex Holliday’s goal was disallowed by an offsides call. With eight minutes left in regulation, midfielder Connor Hollrah’s shot hit off the top crossbar.
“We battled all night,” Taylor said.
The Kewpies (11-4-1) play next Thursday at Rockhurst in Kansas City.
- WAYNESVILLE : Take 63 South Towards Jeff City. Take US-54 W thru Osage Beach to Camdenton. Take MO Hwy 5 South to Lebanon , MO.Continue on MO Hwy 5 South to I-44 E towards Waynesville, MO. Take Exit 156, toward WAYNESVILLE/FORT LEONARD WOOD. Turn LEFT onto HIGHWAY H/I-44-BL/MO-H. Continue to follow I-44-BL.Turn RIGHT onto MO-17/W I-44-BL.1001 HISTORIC 66 W.
- QUINCY TOURNAMENT IN QUINCY ILLINOIS: From Columbia Take 70 West to Kingdom City. Take 54 North to Mexico and then 54 east and north (54/19) to Laddonia. From Laddonia take 19 North to New London and then 61 North to Hannibal. When you get to Hannibal, you will need to take a right at the sign that says Quincy or to Illinois or to Springfield which is hwy 72 across the river. You will then pick up Highway 172 north to Quincy. In Quincy take the Broadway exit and go left.The fields we are playing on are located on State Street. The streets in Quincy that run West to East are numbered streets. The Mississippi River is to the West and the street numbers get higher the further East you go. When you enter from highway 172 the first street you will see is 48th street. Go left. At State St turn right and the park is a few blocks on the right. The Paul Dennis Complex is located on State between 36th and 48th street.
- JEFFERSON CITY- 179 SOCCER PARK: Take 63 to Jeff City. Across the river take Hwy 50 toward Sedalia. Take the hwy 179 exit and turn right onto 179. The soccer park is about 3 miles on your left.
- DESMET High school from CBC High school (about 3 miles): leave CBC and turn left (east) onto N Forty Dr. Turn right onto Conway Rd. Follow Conway Rd to left at S New Ballas Rd and it is about 1.2 miles to the high school at 233 N. New Ballas Rd.
- CBC High school in St Louis: about 1 hour and 50 minutes. Take I-70 east to US40E/US61S just past Wentzville. Head toward Chesterfield/Forrest Park. About 23 miles to Mason Rd exit. Take S Mason Rd north back over the highway. Turn right on N. Forty Dr and the high school is on your left about a mile at 1850 De la Salle Dr.
- CAMDENTON: Hwy 54 out of Jeff City to Hwy 5 in Camdenton. Turn left (east) on to Hwy 5. Continue on Hwy 5 for 5 or 6 blocks and can see the school campus on your left (north side of road). Turn on to Dare Blvd and the stadium is a block or two behind the schools.
- SMITHTON TOURNAMENT: I-70 west to Booneville. Exit on Hwy 5 south. From Hwy 5 take Hwy 50 west. Go to Hwy W and turn south. Follow Hwy W into Smithton. Turn east on to E. Washington St. (I think this is a continuation of Hwy W), Turn right (south) on to Myrtle Ave and the school is 550 Myrtle Ave. Games are at the school.
- ROLLA: Hwy 63 out of Jefferson City. Continue on Hwy 63 into Rolla. Turn left (east) on to 10th St. Continue on 10th St about 8 blocks to N. Cedar St. High School is at corner of N. Cedar and 10th St. Soccer field is behind the high school.